Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fondant and Toilet Seats (Yes, You're Reading This Correctly!)

Those of you who know me well know that my favorite television show is "Ace of Cakes." You also know that while I am happily married, I have quite the crush on baker Duff Goldman. He drives me insane! (LOL)
On Sunday night I perused the Charm City Cakes blog as I do once or twice a month (www.charmcitycakes.com). I squealed when I found out that Duff has FINALLY put out a line of baking items from cake mix, to pans, to fondant. My only disappointment was that I read this around 10 p.m. and the only store you can buy it at (Michael's Craft Store) was already closed! I seriously wanted to drive over there in my pajamas! Alas, I waited until after work on Monday and had a field day! As you can see above there is so much to choose from and I want it all! Since my Mom's birthday was this week we decided to start with hot pink fondant, butter creme cake mix, a fondant smoother, and decorative icing.
I've never, ever worked with fondant or tasted it. I am dying to come up with the time and money to take a cake decorating class! Initially I was going to make the cake and place the fondant, but when Jason offered I took him up on it. He did an amazing job in my opinion!
To be completely honest, the cake was delicious! Definitely worth the $8 pricetag (although you better believe I used a 40% off coupon). The fondant while gorgeous, was not tasty. I really don't think it has anything to do with the Duff brand though. It's something about the play-doh like texture that makes it unappealing to me. I think fondant's primary purpose is to be decorative, even if it is edible!
My Mom was so impressed she made us wait to blow out her candles so that she could take a picture!

On a completely unrelated note (HA), Jason found the COOLEST toilet seat EVER at Home Depot today. It is an adult and toddler seat in one! You simply fold down the smaller seat and...

it turns into a toddler potty! Those of you who do not have kids think I am insane. Those of you who have kids think I am a genius. Either way, Caleb appreciates not having to hold on for dear life whenever he makes a deposit!




No comments:

Post a Comment