Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Two Delicious Recipes

This week I have been experimenting with some new recipes since I actually have time! I'm also trying to get back on track with my diet since I've cheated quite a bit in the last month! I don't want to wait to the new year, with me being home 24/7 that is too dangerous! Below are two recipes, one that is healthy (and delicious) and one that is not as healthy but a favorite in my family for parties!


Chicken with Snow Peas

Ingredients

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

1 tablespoon cornstarch

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast helaves cut in 1x1/2 inch strips

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (this was the first time I used real garlic in a recipe!)

6 oz. fresh snow peas

Directions

1. Combine the broth and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir until dissolved. Stir in the soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger.

2. Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and the garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes. Add the snow peas. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked 3-5 minutes longer.

3. Add the broth mixture to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and bubbly, 1-3 minutes. Serve hot.

I served this over rice. When I make it again I will probably use more cornstarch to make the sauce a bit thicker!


Mexican Taco Salad

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef

Taco seasoning

1 package cream cheese

Shredded lettuce (I am lazy and buy preshredded dole brand)

1 jar salsa

1 package shredded cheddar

Nacho chips

1. Prepare ground beef as directed on taco seasoning package, use only half of the seasoning packet in the ground beef however.

2. Blend cream cheese and the reserved taco seasoning together. It is easier to do this if cream cheese is softened, I typically let it sit out for 30 minutes before I blend it.

3. Spread cream cheese mixture in the bottom of a pie plate. Sprinkle ground beef on top of cream cheese mixture. Spread salsa on top of ground beef. Sprinkle shredded lettuce on top of salsa. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of lettuce.

Serve with nacho chips!

1 comment:

  1. mmmmm, these are two that I see myself stealing from you. Hope you don't mind. :-D

    ReplyDelete