Monday, February 8, 2010

Snowmageddon 2010/Caleb's 4th Birthday

This past weekend was the biggest snowfall I can ever remember in Baltimore! It started on Friday night, 2/5/10. At about 6:40 p.m. my backyard looked like this and we only had about an inch. Things were just getting started though!

By bed time, 10 p.m. we were nearing 3 inches:


Surprisingly I slept like a baby that night... as I was sleeping all heck was breaking loose outside as we went from a snow warning to a blizzard warning overnight. By the time I came down at 7:00 a.m. the next morning, my backyard had about 18 inches of snow and looked like this:
Around 2:00 p.m. the next day the snow finally stopped and we had 30 inches of snow in our backyard:


This historical snowstorm coincided with Caleb's 4th birthday! We had planned a party at Chuck E Cheese that unfortunately had to be cancelled. Caleb was a good sport about it and it actually turned out be an awesome day that I don't think I'll ever forget. He started his day by opening presents (it felt strangely like Christmas morning) and having a big, homemade breakfast. I snapped this shot to start our day!


As we were eating breakfast one of the local news stations (ABC 2 News) asked that people send in their snow pictures. I emailed the picture above and story and it was aired at least 3 times on Saturday and Sunday! Here is a link for a youtube video of him on television:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtZD1nC-wlM


Caleb asked for two things for his birthday. Books for his Tag reading system and...
the "Cheeseburger Song" by the Veggie Tales.

The insane part is that the snow last weekend only seems like the beginning. They are currently calling for 10-20 inches more tomorrow, Tuesday! In Baltimore we rarely get more than 1 or 2 small snowstorms a year (like 3-5 inches) so this is unprecedented! Schools are already closed Tuesday and Wednesday. I am predicting that we probably won't go back at all this week. I just hope I won't be teaching in July!
As for Caleb's birthday, it has been rescheduled for this Saturday. There is a chance of more snow, seriously. If this happens I think I am just going to combine Blake and Caleb's birthdays at the end of the month! I didn't want to do this so that they could each have their own special day, but this weather leaves me with no choice really!






3 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy?! I'm ready for it to go!!! I hope Caleb gets to have his party!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super crazy!!! How much snow did you get in Lancaster and how much more are you expecting tomorrow? I'm wondering where they are going to put it all as there are huge mountains everywhere as it is. :) I am really enjoying the time off with the kids though, I could get used to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel says Miss Gloria's neighbor and Uncle Guy are both doing stuff for her. Here the snow is just basically piled in the streets in between the cars, which takes already full parking down to a battle. I waiting for someone to lose it!

    ReplyDelete