Monday, May 30, 2011

Havre de Grace

On Saturday we were going to visit Harpers Ferry, WV, but after my Mom shared that she would love to go but had plans for the day we decided to hold off. On a whim we threw a picnic lunch together and headed up to Havre de Grace, MD. It wound up being one of our best little road trips and was practically free!

We started out our trip at Tydings Memorial Park. Located right on the beautiful Susquehanna River, it's a great spot for a picnic. There were great picnic tables, tons of shade, and a gentle breeze flowed in from the water. It was one of those moments that I had to stop and thank God for life in general! It couldn't have been a better moment.


The playground at the park was perfect for our boys. There was a larger "big kids" section for Caleb and and a toddler section for Blake. I wish I had taken more pictures, this playground was extremely unique. There were several pieces of equipment that I had never seen in my life!



After visiting the park we went to the Havre de Grace promenade. I had heard of this before, but had no idea what to expect. It's a long wooden boardwalk along the Susquehanna River. There were ducks to keep the boys happy and historical signs along the way that Caleb actually wanted us to read to him. What was most exciting for me was just being able to walk the entire thing without feeling exhausted or out of breath. All of the weight I have lost (50 pounds to date) has dramatically changed my life. I am doing things I never thought I would again. Not only do I love it, but so do my kids! I actually skipped down the street with Caleb, something my knees would have never tolerated 6 months ago!




In addition the Promenade we visited Bomboy's Chocolate and Ice Cream. I realize this totally contradicts my last paragraph! I behaved well and only got sugar free gummy worms from the Chocolate store and a child's size sugar free ice cream from the Ice Cream store. Surprisingly it wasn't torture to be around all of my favorite things (sweets!) either, I think I am finally over it! These two shops are adjacent to each other and little gems. Their website is: http://www.bomboyscandy.com/




To find more information about Havre de Grace visit: http://www.hdgtourism.com/ The promenade and the park are both FREE! :)


























No comments:

Post a Comment