Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Vegan Banana Bread

My cousin Diane gave me "The Happy Herbivore" cookbook by Lindsay Nixon for my birthday. Now that I am on winter break I actually have time to explore and try some of the recipes. While I am not thinking about becoming a vegan, I think it's just a healthier way of cooking and baking and I am always up for something new. Now that I have been working on losing weight for officially one year, I need to shake things up. The first thing I tried (pictured above) was banana bread. It filled my house with a sweet aroma and tasted delicious! The next recipe from this cookbook is sweet cinnamon rolls. Here is the recipe for the banana bread...

Ingredients:
1/4 cup non dairy milk (I bought light, vanilla silk soymilk)
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice (the kind in the plastic lemon bottle will do)
4 or 5 spotted or browning bananas (our bananas go bad often, now I won't have to throw them away!)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup raw sugar (I recommend adding a little extra sugar for a sweeter taste)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (go easy on this ingredient)
2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon pure maple syrup (expensive... but I figure it will last a long time)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk the non-dairy milk and lemon juice together until bubbly and set aside.
3. Cream bananas with brown sugar and raw sugar using a spatula or food processor until smooth and creamy, set aside (I left some little chunks and thought this was a good thing).
4. In a large bowl (I got to use my new kitchen aid, yahoo), whisk spices, flour, baking soda, and baking powder together.
5. Add milk-lemon juice and banana mixture, as well as vanilla extract and maple syrup (I also added coconut extract for a little extra zing... you could add other extracts like cherry or almond to kick it up a notch).
6. Pour into loaf pan, using a spatula to evenly distribute and smooth out the top.
7. Lay a large piece of foil on top (do not wrap tightly).
8. Bake 45-60 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (it does take a long time for this to bake).

Let me know if you make this and how it goes! :) Also, what are your favorite healthy recipes? I need some new ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment