Sunday, August 18, 2013

From Negative to Positive... My "Inspirational Fridge!"


After I started my weight loss journey 2 years ago I read a tip in one of my online weight loss support groups that said to put a picture of yourself at your highest weight on your fridge, so that when you're tempted to eat something you shouldn't it's in your face as a reminder! I (of course) took it one step further and attached a note under the pictures that said "THINK TWICE!" in the biggest, darkest font I could find. So negative!

I confessed my refrigerator negativity to a friend and she gave me "the look." She then lovingly suggested that I leave the picture up, but also add some positive things and celebrate some of the achievements God has brought me to. So began the "Inspirational Fridge" project I've been working on this summer!

The pictures of me at my biggest (267 pounds) are still there (the picture in the top left corner and in the purple shirt)... but gone is the "Think Twice" that screamed at me every day. Added are things to remind me of where the journey has taken me... Pictures of me doing a split (something I never imagined I would be physically be able to do again), in a "pretty ballerina" yoga pose, finishing my second 5K, and with my Movez instructor are now more plentiful than the pictures that make me cringe, cover my eyes, or even cry.

Positive quotes are there as well... from lyrics to my favorite song "Overcomer" by Mandisa ("You're an overcomer, stay in the fight 'till the final round!)... "Faith is taking the first step even though you can't see the whole staircase"... "Your body hears every thing your mind thinks"... "Crave" (a reminder from Lysa Terkeurst's book to crave God more than food... read it if you haven't, it's a life changer for those that struggle with their weight)... and finally my favorite Bible verse: "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial." - 1 Cor- 10:23.

Finally, there are other little things that make me smile.... two of the bibs from the 3 5Ks I have participated in this summer (something I NEVER thought I could do) and my Movez (dance classes I take for the people that read my blog and aren't from the area... apparently I have people that read in Europe!) key tag that had been used so many times it was falling apart and had to be replaced.

Notice that big empty spot in the right corner? That is where I am going to put my next 5K bib! I've already registered to run in the Baltimore Ravens 5K on September 4th! The race ends on the 50 yard line at Ravens stadium! I can't wait for that adrenaline rush, it's going to be insane!

While weight loss might not be your struggle, I believe we all struggle with something that we beat ourselves up over! How can you turn your negative into a positive? :)

*As of 8/17/13 I am down 86.2 pounds!

P.s. I am sorry I don't blog much anymore, I promise I'll get better at it! I appreciate that I still get emails from some of you!

3 comments: