Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Chowder

The cold weather and snow had me craving something warm and hearty! This week I received my quarterly "Taste of Home" recipe magazine that was filled with easy soup recipes. The chicken tortilla chowder looked delicious and seemed easy enough to do. Just as the snow began to fall I ran to the grocery store to get the ingredients. It was delicious! The tortilla strips made for tasty noodles. Even my picky eater Caleb loved it! There are also tons of leftovers. I figure we'll have enough for lunch after church tomorrow (if it's not cancelled due to this unexpected 5-6 inches of snow) and I'll have enough for lunch at work on Monday!



Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 cans (10-3/4 oz. each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted

2 cans (10-3/4 oz. each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted

2 cups 2 % milk (I used skim milk and it didn't seem to make a difference)

1 can (14-1/2 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 can (11 oz.) Mexicorn, drained

1 pkg. (10 oz.) ready-to-serve roasted chicken breast strips, chopped (We used half a package of the new Tyson frozen grilled chicken and it added a good taste... you could also use Perdue short cuts)

1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies (these were tricky to find in the grocery store, but ortega makes a small can of them... I don't like spicy foods so I only put a few spoonfuls in... Jason added extra to his bowl)

3 flour tortillas (8 in.), cut into 2-in. x 1/2 in. strips

1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

Additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional

In a large saucepan (I used a large, two handled pot), heat the soups, milk and broth, stirring frequently. Add corn, chicken, chilies; bring to a boil. Stir in the tortilla strips. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese until melted Sprinkle each serving with additional cheese if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment