Sunday, April 11, 2010

Homemade Rainbow and Homemade Cracker Pudding

We just finished up what has been a wonderful weekend! I can't stand the idea of going back to work and reality tomorrow!

This afternoon I spent in the kitchen experimenting with some Amish recipes from my new "Amish Heritage Cookbook" by Beverly Lewis. I tried macaroni/cheese and cracker pudding. It was hard work! I spent over two hours making just these two things! My Mom said that the Amish don't have anything else to do so they cook all day. I believe it! Both recipes turned out to be delicious. I did have some technical difficulties with the macaroni and cheese because I tried to multitask and the milk for the cheese mixture got scalded. Jason ran around the corner for more milk and saved the day! The cracker pudding recipe and picture are below!

After dinner we experimented with colors. I got this fun idea from my friend Shawna's blog, Nuts to You (http://shawnahenry.blogspot.com).
We started with red, blue, and yellow water. I just mixed water and McCormick food coloring.
We made purple, green, and orange water by mixing different combinations of red, blue, and yellow!
The end rainbow of colors!

Cracker Pudding (Do not let looks deceive you, it was delish!)
From Beverly Lewis' "Amish Heritage Cookbook"
2 eggs, separated
1/2 c. plus 3 tbsp. sugar, divided
4 c. whole milk
1 c. finely ground cracker crumbs (I used Keebler "Club" crackers)
1/2 c. shredded coconut
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar; set aside. Scald milk in top of double boiler, stirring slowly. Gradually add egg yolk mixture to scalded milk, stirring continually. Cook for one full minute; then add cracker crumbs, coconut, and salt. Keep stirring! Once cracker crumbs are soft and the entire mixture is thick, remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour the mixture into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.
Create meringue by beating 3 tbsp. sugar into stiffly beaten egg whites; spread over top of cracker pudding. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Makes 6-8 servings.
*I decided to remove the cracker pudding from the baking dish once it had been cooked and placed it in a bowl to chill in the refrigerator.



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got to do the colors! Maybe when it is warm you can dye his swimming pool:)

    By the way, the Amish actually do a lot more than cook. Since they do all their laundry by hand and can all their own goods, that takes up a lot of time and they usually have two gardens, a family garden and a "charity" garden where they give the food away! They usually get up before the sun and work the whole day. I don't know how they do it!

    ReplyDelete