Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother's Day Weekend Part 1

Today we just got in the car and drove. These tend to be our best most memorable days!

We started out by going to breakfast at IHOP in Timonium. Jason's godmother got us a giftcard there for Christmas and we didn't want it to go to waste. While we were there there was a quick, but heavy rainstorm. I worried that our fun might be short lived! Fortunately, but the time we were done the rain had stopped.

We decided to head to Dutch Wonderland next in Lancaster. We didn't tell Caleb where we were going so he was very surprised when we pulled up in the parking lot. I think this is the way to go from now on Dutch Wonderland days. This way he is not in our bed at 6:00 a.m. ready to go! Due to the slight chance of rain I guess a lot of people were scared away. This worked to our benefit! Even though we didn't arrive until 10:30 (30 minutes after the park officially opened) we were able to park right in front of the castle. We walked right onto every ride and it felt like we had the park to ourselves. We ran into "Duke" the dragon on the way in, Dutch Wonderland's mascot. I love how this picture turned out! Usually I am the one holding the camera so I don't have nearly enough pictures with the boys.
In honor of Mother's Day they had a whoopee pie making station. Caleb enjoyed constructing and decorating it by himself! If you've never had a whoopee pie it is basically cake sandwich with icing in the middle.

He made a huge mess, but fortunately there was an outdoor hand washing station right by. Very good planning on their part!
The most memorable (and terrifying) moment of this visit was riding on the skylift. Even though there was no rain and there was plenty of sunshine, it was terribly windy! As Caleb and I took it across the park our lift blew back and forth. I thought for sure we were going to fall hundreds of feet to the ground. I shared my fear with the operator and he said that if got much windier they would close it for safety reasons, no kidding! Instead of taking the sky lift back to where Jason and Blake were, we walked! It was good exercise any way!

After 2 hours we had accomplished a lot and decided to head to the Bird In Hand farmer's market. We are having mother's day dinner with both of our families tomorrow, and rather than making a dessert I wanted to buy one to treat myself to less time in the kitchen this mother's day weekend. Unfortunately we didn't find anything there really, so we got in the car. As we were heading down the road I saw a tiny sign that said "Bird in Hand Bake Shop, turn right, then make your second right." I was behind the wheel so I made the quick turn. We drove through some serious Amish territory and I was about to turn around because I felt like we were driving too far when we found it. What a find! It was a cute little bakery/craft store nestled between a quaint Amish schoolhouse and farm. They had an awesome playground for children and a petting zoo. We found some great baked items to put out tomorrow! Their website is: www.bihbakeshop.com
From the bake shop we headed to Shrewsbury for fresh green beans from their Amish market and to allow Caleb to play in the giant playplace in their McDonald's. All in all it was a beautiful weekend! I tend to get very sappy on Mother's Day weekend and found myself thinking "I am so lucky!" many times today!


No comments:

Post a Comment